Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 155

There is so much on my mind tonight, it’s a night for bullets.

·         Any time I go down town I know I have to leave an extra twenty minutes ahead of time, because I am both directionally challenged and common sense challenged.  So why I didn’t listen to myself today, I don’t know.  I left late and as a result sped down the highway at 70-90 miles per hour, which is unlike me.  The only cool thing about this was some other poor soul was late, and he was bobbing and weaving just like me through traffic.  Like comrades in a war, we sped together, blocking and passing other cars.

·         When I finally made it downtown, it took forever for me to find the parking garage.  I circled the building for 10 minutes, utterly confused.  When I finally followed a van (because a van insinuates family, and family insinuates church in the south), and made it inside the garage safe and sound.

·         My mind hadn’t cooled down from the trip, and it felt like service went by too quickly.  I saw faces of people I hadn’t seen in a while, and I realized how terribly I miss them.  But with an all-too-quick hug I went upstairs to fulfill my duties as a volunteer.

·         Infants.  Infants?!  Oh, those poor babies.  Don’t these people realize I’m single, have never babysat, and have no idea what I’m doing!?  But I did tell them I’d help anywhere, and quickly prayed that no babies would be dropped at my hands.  Surrounded by babies, my heart melted as each of them smiled and laughed and sputtered odd noises.  They reached their baby hands out to me, and I was smitten.  I even nibbled at their baby feet.  I couldn’t resist the smiles that came from toe kisses!  One little one reached out to me.  When I came close, he held my face in his hands, looking intently at me.  I fell in love with their tenderness and enjoyed the morning.  Our section overlooked the Memphis bridge—the scene just took my breath away.  And for a moment, I felt firmly that I was exactly where God wanted me to be in every sense.

·         As parents came to pick up their children, I watched the masses of people.  So many people!  I felt so small against the backdrop of such a multitude.  Everyone was dressed up so beautifully.  And all I could think was about how I was in my kid-safe wardrobe.  I was a little sad, but knew there would be other opportunities.  I saw very few people I recognized actually, and had some invitations to go out.  And really I was thinking, I just want to go home, but as I got into my car, I realized that was the exact opposite of what I truly wanted, and instead met Tracy and Lindsay at Molly’s.

·         I’m glad I went.  Not only was the food delicious, but it made me realize how much I miss them.  It feels like it’s been ages since I’ve sat down with either of them—since the girls group even, and I really, really miss their friendships.  We caught up on life, but two things stuck out to me.  Kisses from Katie and opposite sex friendships.  I felt like those were two things God wanted me to hearBe prepared for great things was one whisper, and Guard your heart followed.
  
·         David Platt flipped my world upside down last Friday.  There is this passion in me that I’ve only experienced in snippets before.  Hearing Mario talk a couple years ago and leading us through Secret Church, and then subscribing to Voice of Martyrs have offered pieces of the world that remain unreached.  I don’t know for what God is preparing me, but I know it’s going to be big.   Kisses from Katie left me to wonder of what God is going to make me capable.  I think it’s important Lindsay told me that Katie sacrificed college to do God’s work, because I feel like that’s one thing that could eventually prevent me from fulfilling God’s calling.  When the other topic arose, it made me realize just how much we have to protect brothers, honoring their future wives.  We also have to protect our hearts, to save them for our husbands.  We have to remain focused on God, and find a balance between having healthy opposite sex friendships and boundaries.

·         As I drove home from Molly’s, I recognized where I was.  I was driving home on Madison.  Madison was always the way I drove to Minglewood Hall, where Christ City meets on Sundays.  And there was a slight ache in my heart.  Last Easter, I was at Christ City, and before Fellowship, this is where I was fed.  I thought to myself, Man, I miss Christ City, which made me realize how often within the last few weeks I have heard the names of all the other churches where I spent time.  And now, in a couple weeks, I’ll become a member of Fellowship.  And I have cold feet.  With the utterance of the names of other churches from my past, I’m wondering if I’m making a mistake.  Am I meant to serve within and from Fellowship?  Am I making the right choice?  Two months ago I would have said yes.  And now I feel as if I’m not sure.

·         This hurts, because I want to be sure.  And I don’t know if this is Satan planting the seed of distrust or if this is God pushing me elsewhere.  When I sat in Highland Church, I looked around, and imagined myself happy there.  Second Pres, Independent Pres, Highpoint, Christ United Methodist…I love Fellowship for its desire to disciple.  But either I don’t know the right people or there’s a lack of discipling going on, because I’ve heard more people say their community groups are falling apart and that they’re not learning or growing.  And I think of other churches that have a set building, and have Wednesday night services, community groups, women studies, intentional connectedness to the body as a whole, and I just wonder, if I want to grow, will I be able to grow here?

·         The end of the day was fulfilling for me.  When I asked the girls if they wanted to go to Shelby Farms, I expected polite no’s.  Not because they wouldn’t want to spend time with me, but nobody ever has time or desire to come out to Shelby Farms with me.  And Shelby Farms is basically a love language of mine.  If you follow me and spend time outside with smelly, rowdy puppies romping around in mud, I know you care.  But most of the time I spend the afternoons there alone just because it’s not really anybody’s “thing.”  And it was a kind gift from God to give me Tracy and Lindsay to walk with and watch the dogs play and see exactly how and where I spend my time.  And that in itself made me miss have deep, connected friendships even more.

·         And so now I sit, relaxing on my sofa with two tired dogs.  I think back on my Easter and see how much has changed in a year, and how much further I still have to travel.  I think of how thankful I am to Jesus for all He endured.  I’m thankful for God’s sovereignty.  I’m thankful for a job, a working car, a home in which to live, unwavering friendships that continue to give me grace, and forgiveness, and love.

·         One of the songs in the service today was Tye Tribbett’s Bless the Lord (Son of Man), and I couldn’t stop listening to it.  Loving this song so much, I listened to a few others and found one that I absolutely fell in love with.  This is my wish for my life, God, and I hope when I meet Easter of next year that I can look back and know my life has continued to change as I have continued chasing after You.

Each and every day I will seek your face
My soul is crying out
For more, I want more of You
I won't be satisfied nor content with where I am
So I will apprehend till I'm captured by what I'm after

And I will go
From faith to faith
From glory to glory

And I'll forever be chasing after you
I'll be chasing after you

I will press towards the mark
For the prize, and I won't faint
There's one thing I desire and that's what I'm going for
I can't continue life, day by day, growing dry
I need to be with you, Jesus, I'll seek where you are

And I'll forever be chasing after you
I'll be chasing after you

And those are some of my thoughts.  Happy Easter.  He has risen!