Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 18

Oh the things lovers do when it's over
Oh the things lovers do when it's done
Find a cool bottle or a warm shoulder
Wake up older
And try to move on

Ask me who I was a year ago and I’ll tell you to listen to this song sung by Julie Roberts.

After a year of avoiding it, tonight I finally clicked My Documents and sought out my picture folders from 2009 and 2010—the disaster years.  Fear of reliving that pain has kept me from looking through them these last eleven months, but tonight God urged me to center my cursor and double-click.


I came face to face with myself.  I saw fake-smile after fake-smile, each like a band-aid trying cover up the wounds on my heart.  Each grimace was an attempt to mask an emptiness—an overwhelming sense of sadness and confusion.  I relied on men to pull me through life, literally.  I would die for attention.  I was beyond broken, the girlfriend of a man who hurt me every day.  And I was fine with it.  I thought that was happiness—or as close to happiness as I could ever experience.  And so I stayed.  Broken nights in hotel rooms, drunk nights at dance clubs, fights about infidelity, lowered standards and feelings of loneliness, confusion, and insecurity were all I came to know.

I’ve held so much pain over those two years of my life.  The mere thought of him used to bring me emotionally to my knees.  But I looked at his face tonight.  I looked over our memories.  I saw our life together.  And I mourned.

For the first time I mourned not for the loss, but for how lost we were…how lost I was.  Somehow the pain transformed itself into sadness.

This forgiveness stuff isn’t easy.  There is so much aching, self-examination, reconciliation, and sadness that must be experienced.  It’s not easy.  And I don’t like it.  But it’s the baby steps that move us along.  As the time comes for me to mourn and forgive each of my broken relationships, I just pray to God for strength to relive important moments, examine my decisions, and find the roots of my heart motives.

Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

Yes.  Even through this bitter pain, I say yes.

Because it is only through pain we are forced to grow.

And I so desperately want to grow that the pain is becoming worth it.

And so I move on from yesterday’s news and turn away from him, leaving behind, but remembering, everything that was.  With the closing of another chapter of my life, I am more determined than ever to be stronger than the girl who once looked at me from behind the mirror.

Doesn't happen overnight, but you turn around and a month’s gone by,
And you realize you haven't cried.
I'm not giving you an hour or a second or another minute longer.
I'm busy getting stronger.