Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 211

It seems the further along the OYC progresses, the further away are my desire and hope to be a wife.

A weekend in New Orleans can certainly change a person.  And along with the OYC, God definitely used this city to peel away layers of my heart.

And the more layers of my heart He plucks away, the more I find out who I am and who I am in Him.

I walked casually down Decatur and Bourbon and Canal.  I stopped on street corners to listen to bands.  I perused the bar scene for local music.  I dined at local restaurants, savoring every taste, every flavor.  The city was alive and it ignited something inside of me.

It was talking to the bartender.

It was talking to the local store owner.

It was talking with the hotel staff.

It was walking along the river at night.

It was the street musicians and magicians.

It was the amazing food and delicious drink.

It was finding my own style at the limitless boutiques.

Everything.  Everything incited deep thought and meditation.  But nothing more than the walk down Bourbon Street.

It was there I felt my need to help peak.  I looked on through the crowds and at the almost-naked hostesses at gentlemen’s clubs.  How desperately I wanted to say, to do anything.

Every day the desire to learn, to develop, to be able to talk about the gospel with people, with complete strangers, grows.

And every day it grows I feel as if my hope and desire for marriage shrinks.

As I transform into a Jamie I barely recognize, marriage is pushed farther and farther down on my list.  With my heart growing for missionary work, how does a husband—much less a family—fit into such an equation?

Will a husband want his wife proselytizing in the streets instead of housewifing in the suburbs?

It seems less likely every day that I will fit into a man’s mold.  But that’s okay.

Because God has a mold for me.

And every day, I find myself accepting of the realization that what God is calling me to do may very well not include a husband or a family.

I could go on in life as a single woman, ministering to those around me, in a ministry more powerful as an unmarried woman.  And if that is to be the case, shouldn’t I want the way that gives God more glory?

I think of the faces I saw this weekend.  I think of hurting hearts and unsaved souls, and know deep down that if God is calling a single girl to save lives, then so be it.

I don’t know God’s plan for my life.  But I do know the direction He’s calling me.  And husband or not, I want to follow Him, trusting His design for my life.