God has proven this several times within the last month, reigniting
friendships that I once had.
I admittedly pulled away from some and others dissolved for no reason except for life’s business. And I thought that would be it, all she wrote.
Not so, said
God.
It’s like an out-of-body experience sitting down with
someone you once knew. It’s like a
mirror, almost.
Like tonight, there was such a stark contrast from where
I once was and where I am now, and how much that person saw me through and how
much I’ve changed from it.
It’s a good mirror.
And I’ve realized good friendships—great friendships—aren’t
categorized by how much time but how that time was spent. Mourning, encouraging, trekking through life,
loving one another and honoring one another. Good friendships withstand time and absence.
And it’s really made me realize not only how much I miss
those friendships, but how much purpose there is when people part. It’s sad, yes, but sometimes to find our own
identity we have to leave who we are and others behind. It’s not personal, it just is.
There is so much comfort that happens within friendships
that it can, if you let it, stunt who you are—by no way is it the friend’s
fault. You just can’t always grow until
you’re forced to and the best way to do that is to experience new things, new
people, find who you are outside of
that group.
And that’s exactly what I did—what I had to do. I had to let go to learn, to love better, and
to be better. I can’t say that I’ve
found myself, but I’ve found better ways to love those around me.
I became less selfish by being selfish. And God knew when I was ready that He was going
to open those doors again for me.
Tonight was a testament to God, and His love. Totally a parable of the prodigal son. I left, and was then welcomed home, no
questions asked, ready to be better.
I’m ready to keep being better. And I am beyond thankful for grace.