Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 27

I was at work when I saw him.


He didn’t look at me when he walked in, and he never would.  He wore a business suit, which was unlike him, but he had on his signature baseball cap.  I groaned inwardly, both sad and angry.  He walked to the back counter to fill out a deposit slip, and while I waited to come face to face with him, a lady stepped into my window.

She was gorgeous.  Long, black hair.  Full lips.  Skin the color of rich chocolate.  Tall like a model, and her accent suggested foreign roots.  She was the epitome of beauty—but she was also unprepared, and this stirred up even more aggravation in me.  As she took her time organizing her deposit, the lobby began to fill with customers.  The longer they waited the angrier and more impatient they became.  More followed until there were hundreds—and I could no longer see him anywhere.  Panicked, I desperately wanted to help each of the awaiting customers, but I was stuck.  The lady in my window did not move.  She paid them no mind, and they waited, enraged, voicing their complaints.

Finally she placed her transaction on my counter, crumpled bills and a handful of coins multiplying my irritation.  I scooped up the money and, with a heavy sigh, began to count.  Foreign coins were mixed in with her American money, and I began to tell her I couldn’t take them—but instead I sorted through them.  One looked like a dime, but wasn’t.  Another resembled a quarter, but wasn’t.  And the next coin I touched stopped me completely.

This coin was different from the other two.  Where those were decorated with vines and birds, this one was engraved with two hands.  Reaching out to me.  I picked the golden coin up and held it between my fingers.  Intrigued, I began to ask her from where it came, but something stopped me.  I looked down again at the coin, at the inscription that had seemingly just appeared:

In God’s Hands

Taken aback, I looked up, intending to demand to know its origin.

But she was gone.  And so was the crowd.

And I was left with an empty hallway, and a solitary golden coin.

Last year, when I made the decision to become Christian, Satan was angry.  Don’t believe he exists?  Sorry.  He does.  He has one goal, and that’s to keep you from God by any means possible.  And he is never more invested in destroying you than when you’ve wholeheartedly decided to change your life. 

He will attack you, doing anything to make you doubt God.  Each person is different.  For me, he met me in my dreams, tormenting me with images from my past and dreams for my future.  I would wake up, my entire person changed, because I had spent hours asleep, experiencing Hell.

Within this last week, the nightmares returned.  Full force.  So, last night before I went to bed I prayed to God to protect me.  Every morning this week I would awake exhausted, and I couldn’t bear to experience the same pain again.

As my alarm sounded this morning and my eyes opened, I was speechless.  Thankful, and in awe.

As Day 27 comes to an end, I am determined to persist.  I will not fear the terror of the night, because He is with me, guarding me, protecting me, and pushing me onward, upward, forward and away from darkness.