Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 10

God has been taking these few weeks to press forgiveness into my heart.

Yesterday, Bryan tweeted this:


Hashtag, conviction.

Last Sunday made it the second week that I did not take communion with the church.  As the music began, and I saw people rise to be with Christ, a sad ache loomed in my heart.  Separated from God.  I looked up at the ceiling.  What?  The answer followed.  Sin separates you from God.  Feel ya, Holy Spirit.  I nodded, understanding, and let myself ache.  I understand I desperately need to forgive those who have hurt me.

Years ago when I used to write on MySpace, I would journal about dates, never using their real name.  In keeping this journal I considered doing the same to maintain some privacy.  And so today I listed the names of men who have left my heart hurting—six men I have yet to forgive.  These are the men who, if I saw them at this moment, my soul would be very anti-1 Corinthians 13:4-7.

So I took my list of unforgiven men, and I gave them all nicknames.  Still unsatisfied, I wrestled with different ideas to code them.  And it came to me.  I took one verb to describe from where my pain with each man was born.

Using.
Immobilizing.
Flodging.
Vowing.
Breaking.
Ignoring.

To each, I wrote my personalized vehement judgment:

Using: You used me for your ego.
Immobilizing: You made me feel worthless.
Flodging: You lied about who you were.
Vowed: You wore a ring.
Breaking: You came to me broken.
Ignoring: You didn’t care about who I was.

I thought evilly to myself with satisfaction.  Yeah, y’all hurt me, you jerks.  I hope you know how you did me wrong.  I hope one day God wracks your hearts with guilt over the pain you’ve caused me.  I deserve an apology.  I deserve you to recognize my pain!

Attractive, right?  Ugh.  God must’ve been listening, of course, probably shaking His head with a gentle laugh.  What was supposed to be me justifying my hurt quickly hit me in the chest like a sledgehammer.

Using: You used me for your ego, but I used you to validate myself.
Immobilizing: You made me feel worthless, but I made you feel like less of a man.
Flodging: You lied about who you were, but I made excuses about who we were together.
Vowed: You wore a ring, but I wore desperation.
Breaking: You came to me broken, but so was I.
Ignoring: You didn’t care about who I was, but I didn’t care about you enough to say no.

Admitting I was wrong is not easy.  My pride urges me to refuse responsibility.  It’s much easier to place the blame on him or him or him, or him.  As much as my brothers—yeah, catch that?  Brothers!—wronged me, I equally wronged them.  I.  Wronged.  Them.  A sin is a sin is a sin, right?  Ouch.  Hurts to see myself in that light.

But that’s what God does.  He brings our sin out into the light so that we may not remain in darkness.  To unforgive is to unlove, which, I hear, is the antithesis of our great God.  Forgiveness is no easy feat, but I’m praying every day for God to use my heart, to immobilize my sin, to extol lies, for me to stay true to my vow to Him, to give grace for brokenness, and to care enough about others to share my sins.

Let me love and forgive those who have hurt me.  You have forgiven me, and I am a stained sinner.  Your love has washed over me.  Let me love them like you love me, even when it hurts.  Especially if it hurts.  Let me focus on the depth in Luke 6:32-36.  Let me be merciful, because I have a Father who has given so much mercy to me.  And let me outdo them in love and honor.