Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 128


Sometimes I feel like a hooker.

But worse than a hooker, because I didn't do what I did to make a living.  I did it to fill a void so great I couldn't see anything else.  Men loved me.  You know why I'm just now figuring out who I am and developing a personality?  It's because I never needed one!  All I ever needed was a wall over my heart and a loose body.

And when my warmth wasn't enough anymore I was discarded and traded in.  Talk about wounds!  Of course I have wounds!  The men treated me like I didn’t matter…I treated me like I didn't matter.  The lies of the world became my truths.

And yes, it's sad that at 26 I'm experiencing life for the first time.  Yes, it's sad that I haven't experienced things that normal 26 year-olds have experienced by now.

I feel so stupid when I meet people and they ask me about my life and I have nothing to offer them.  Being different plays on my insecurities and I never feel good enough in my mind and heart.  All I can hope is that they don’t laugh at me or think I’m weird…because all my life I've only ever wanted to fit in.  I have to stop telling myself that people don’t love me—that people can’t love me.  Because they can

I may not be who I wanted myself to be—my idea of normal, my standards that I never met, but God never did and doesn’t want me to be that person anyway.

Because if I was THAT PERSON, I wouldn’t be THIS PERSON—HIS PERSON.

He orchestrated every part of my life.  And whether I love it or not, this is where He has me.  Relearning and learning, experiencing and appreciating everything like it's the first time I've ever done it—mostly because it probably is.

I am navigating life for the first time and it's scary.  It's scary after a lifetime of trauma to trust people, to open up...to try and give up cares about being judged and thrown away.  I looked up at the stars tonight and felt the wind against my face, and I felt so terrible for being angry at God for not giving me a normal life.

I am everything He created me to be.  And that must make me normal in His eyes.  Clean.  Every hurt I've felt, every emptiness echoing in my heart, every time I've hurt someone, every time someone has hurt me...this is all by His plan.

And I'm so sorry to myself for all the years of damage.  For every guy I ever dated.  For every time I told myself that I'm not good enough.  Or pretty enough.  Or smart enough.  I'm sorry to myself for believing every lie.  For every kid in school that picked on me, for every teacher for looking over me, for parents that couldn't understand me, for the girl I was who had no hope.

Maybe I did do what I had to, to survive.

Putting up walls.  Voiding out my heart.  Making myself believe I was worthless so when people walked over me or away, it would be an expectation instead of a surprise.

But everything I never thought I was, He knows I am.

And everything I wasn't, He's making me to be.

And I can't hold myself down anymore.

Because if I do I'm saying He died on the cross just so I could live a mediocre life...so I could live a life of seclusion, hiding, and shame.  And God didn't die for me for that.

Her letter touched me in so many ways.  I didn’t expect it to hit me so.  What do I have in common with a prostitute?  Everything.  Sobbing because it’s reminiscent of a time in my life, I just pray that God gives me the will to move forward.  The strength to love others.  And the determination to love myself.  And the courage to follow Him wherever He may take me.

All His roads lead to light no matter how dark the path.