Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 60

I had my teeth cleaned today.  No cavities.

Exciting, right?

Why, yes, the free floss does make the agonizing
pain of you all-but-ripping-my-gums-out worthwhile.
My body was stiff in the uncomfortable chair, and I leaned back, distressed.  I hate the dentist.  And my body language translates that.  My poor petite hygienist had to lower that uncomfortable chair even more, and it left me at a weird angle with blood rushing to my head.

I was almost tired and sick enough just to fall asleep, and in my Tylenol-induced state, my thoughts roamed freely.  I looked at the rocks on the floor.  The x-ray machine.  I watched her as she put on her mask.  Like always when I meet someone new, I think the same question.

How did she decide this is what she wanted to do for a living?

For lack of passion in my life, and a hope to pinpoint what it is I’m supposed to be doing with myself, I always wonder how others discovered their roads to purpose.  Maybe something they say will jumpstart a pounding in my passionless heart, because right now the only thing in there is Jesus.

I hear God say, Tut, tut, Jamie.

But I’m 26.  I’m already a late bloomer, God.  Can’t You at least point me in the right direction?  Ugh.  I know being a baby Christian means baby-steps, and I know I’m starting a second life.  But I’m like a horse chomping at the bit!  Ready to get out there!   First things first, Jamie. Get your foundation set, then we can build.

Okay, foundation first, God.  Then we build.  Just help me have patience and appreciate where I am, and not feel pressured to start building before it’s time. 

I’ll end on this quote tonight.

“If you just take these three names:  Wilberforce, Lincoln, Rockefeller.  Pick any three preachers...modern preachers, I challenge you to show me any modern day pastors who have had more of a global impact than these three Jesus-lovers who worked in the marketplace…Some of you all, you have bought this lie.  I meet with so many 20-somethings at Starbucks who are on fire for God, they're working in the marketplace, and they think the next logical step is because I love God I'm supposed to be in vocational ministry. Eh eh.  It's a lie from the pit of hell.  So the biblical perspective of work is all of work.  All of our vocations are a sacred offering to God.”—Bryan Loritts, Fellowship Memphis