Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 41

One day I’ll be married.

One day I’ll have a ring.  One day there will be vows.  One day there will be a kiss.  And one day there will be a house that becomes a home.  One day there will be babies who turn into toddlers who grow into teenagers who mature in adults.  And one day there will be a set of rocking chairs on a porch where my husband and I will look back and marvel at our life together.

One day.

But until that day, there will be today.

No checking in, no conflicting schedules, no need to find babysitters, no house note, no family expenses, no lunches to pack—yes, I want to cherish this time in my life.  Before we all get married, before we have children, my friends and I can enjoy our time together and know exactly what it means to have each other—to know the true meaning of friends.  Road trips, movies, holidays, special get-togethers, any get-togethers, coffee dates—all the while rejoicing in times of sadness and celebrating in moments of gladness.


As Sara and I drove through Germantown tonight, mapping out our targets, it occurred to me…this is such a precious time in my life.

Before I started this challenge I felt like I was just filling my time until he came along, waiting on him so my life could start.  Nothing could be further from the truth now. 

Instead of time being filled, I feel so full—my life is full and happy, and satisfying. 

I realized being single isn’t shackles and woes, it’s freedom.

And it amazes me how in just 40 days my perspective has changed in extreme ways.

When I am married, when will I have random nights out like this?  When will I be able to drink coffee at night?  When will I listen to rap music as loud as I want?  How often will I be able to just pick up and hang out with a friend?  There’s an element of spontaneity that fades when other responsibilities come into play.  Right now is the time to take advantage.  Right now is the time to develop and enjoy a full life.

Because one day, it will be me and my husband.  And we will share a life together.  And it will be great.  But it will also be different.  The dynamics will change, and what once was, will not be.

And one day when we sit rocking on our porch, reminiscing of our lives together as our grandchildren play on the steps, I will think of the road I traveled long before my husband entered my life.  I will think of my friends.  Our nights out.  Our nights in.  And how much God blessed me with this One Year Challenge.

And as memories drift through my old, tired 80-year-old mind, the phone will ring.  I’ll slowly amble towards it, cane in hand, and answer with a soft, “Hello.”

And on the other end will be Sara.


And I’ll respond, “Move if ya wanna if ya wanna if ya wanna. Move, move.”

And my husband will shake his head.   And I’ll laugh, remembering such a precious time and the lifelong friendships I made in what started out as my darkest year.